THE CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST ELECTS BISHOP J. DREW SHEARD AS ITS NEW PRESIDING BISHOP
Bishop J. Drew Sheard has been elected as the new Presiding Bishop of the Church of God in Christ (COGIC), the largest Pentecostal denomination in the country.
The Church of God in Christ (COGIC) General Assembly, the legislative body of the denomination, has voted Bishop J. Drew Sheard of Detroit, Michigan as the leader of the worldwide organization.
Presiding Bishop Sheard says, “I am humbled and incredibly grateful for the opportunity to serve this extraordinary organization, the Church of God in Christ, as its new leader and Presiding Bishop.”
He adds, “To be elected to serve as the Presiding Bishop for the Church in which I was born, raised, and have learned and served all my life, is a dream and desire that can only be fulfilled by God’s loving grace and guidance. The opportunity to serve such an extraordinary organization at our highest recognized level of priesthood is beyond humbling. I am so grateful for the unparalleled support of my loving wife, Karen, who has served diligently alongside me in ministry, and for my children. I could never adequately honor or appreciate my parents for demonstrating holiness by sheer example. With complete excitement and joy, I look forward to serving the Lord’s people.”
Presiding Bishop J. Drew Sheard was born on January 1, 1959, in Detroit, Michigan, to Bishop and Mrs. John Henry Sheard. After graduating from high school, he matriculated to Wayne State University, receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in Education, and a Master of Education degree in Mathematics. Bishop Sheard is a former mathematics teacher and has served as senior pastor of the Greater Emmanuel Institutional Church of God in Christ since 1988. He is the prelate of the Michigan North Central Jurisdiction, was a former Auxiliary In Ministries (AIM) Convention chairman, and International Youth Department president for COGIC. Since 2012, he has served as a member of the General Board. Sheard is married to Mrs. Karen Clark-Sheard, a member of the legendary Grammy Award-winning group – The Clark Sisters – and is the father of Kierra and J. Drew II. He has two grandchildren: Jacob and Kallie Drew.
The General Board – the twelve bishops who serve as the Board of Directors of the Church – the following persons have been elected:
• Bishop J. Drew Sheard, Michigan
• Bishop Jerry W. Macklin, California
• Bishop Sedgwick Daniels, Wisconsin
• Bishop Brandon B. Porter, Tennessee
• Bishop Lawrence M. Wooten, Sr., Missouri
• Bishop Darrel L. Hines, Sr. , Wisconsin
• Bishop Michael E. Hill, Sr., Michigan
• Bishop Prince E. Bryant, Sr., Texas
• Bishop David A. Hall, Sr., Tennessee
• Bishop Loran E. Mann, Delaware
• Bishop Malcolm Coby, Oklahoma
• Bishop Charles H. McClelland, Wisconsin
Presiding Bishop Sheard has chosen Bishop Jerry W. Macklin and Bishop Lawrence M. Wooten, Sr. as his first and second assistant Presiding Bishops respectively.
Additional Church of God in Christ quadrennial election results are as follows:
• Bishop Joel Harley Lyles, Maryland – General Secretary
• Bishop Frank Anthone White, New York – Financial Secretary
• Bishop Charles Harrison Mason Patterson, Sr., Tennessee – Treasurer
The fifteen elected members of the Board of Trustees are as follows:
• Dwight E. Walls, Sr., Michigan
• Sylvia Law, Maryland
• Georgia M. Lowe, Tennessee
• David Hall, Jr., Tennessee
• Melton R. Timmons, Texas
• Darin Burns, Michigan
• Joseph Chase, Jr., Virginia
• Amos Smith, Illinois
• Mildred K. Linzy, Washington
• T. Lynn Smith, PhD, Georgia
• Carrie Barnes, Texas
• Carla Galbraith, California
• Jennifer Patterson Hill, Tennessee
• Josephus Shepherd, Illinois
• Sandra C. Jones, Michigan
In the election to fill a vacancy of the Judiciary Board,
Judge Lyndia Ramsey was elected to serve for a six-year term.
In an election held with its members in February, the Board of Bishops selected the following officers for the next four years:
• Bishop John Henry Sheard, Michigan – Chairman
• Bishop Albert Galbraith, California – First Vice-Chairman
• Bishop Roger L. Jones, Michigan – Second Vice Chairman
• Bishop William H. Watson, III, Texas – Secretary
• Bishop Adrian Williams, Georgia – Assistant Secretary
• Bishop Nathiel Wells, Texas – Financial Sectary
• Bishop Christopher Milton, California – Treasurer
• Bishop Bobby Warren, Indiana – Sergeant-At-Arms
The Council of Pastors and Elders will hold their election at a later date.
The Installation for the Presiding Bishop, General Board members and General Officers will be held at a later date.
Founded in 1907 by Bishop Charles Harrison Mason and headquartered in Memphis, TN, The Church of God in Christ is one of the oldest Pentecostal denominations in the
World and the 4th largest Protestant group in the United States with 10,000 churches in over 112 countries worldwide and millions of adherents.
Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.- Steave Jobs
The very important thing you should have is patience.- Jack ma